“The Alfa Fellowship Program will help to educate a new generation of American thinkers on the realities of the New Russia. We think it can only be a good think for Russia-USA relations to have more exposure and more understanding of our country”, — says Mikhail Fridman, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Alfa-Bank at the meeting with a group of Alfa Fellows on Tuesday Feb 26th.
This is a third group of young professionals from the United States who arrived to Moscow for 6 months professional work experience and traveling to regions. The Alfa Fellowship Program was launched in 2004 and is sponsored by Alfa Bank. The first class of 7 fellows was selected from 88 candidates. In February 2006 the new group of 10 participants to arrive to Russia in July 2006 was selected from 267 applicants. Each of new Alfa fellows graduated from the best universities in the USA like Harvard, Wharton, Yale, John Hopkins and Stanford and many come from already-established professional positions.
The program is governed by an impressive Advisory Board of prominent Russian and American business leaders, officials, intellectual and media experts and chaired by Alfa-Bank President Peter Aven. Among them K. Kosachev, Chairman of the International Committee of State Duma, E. Yasin, Rector of the Higher School of Economics and Ambassador Fred Bush from Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scolars.
Thanks to excellent cooperation of TNK-BP, Boston Consulting Group, Baker Botts, Alfa Capital, The Expert magazine, Radiostation Echo of Moscow, Carnegie Moscow Center and regional administrations who have all agreed to accept Fellows for work assignment, the first three groups of Alfa Fellows gained great professional experience.
The first Alfa Fellows returned to the USA and now use their knowledge to foster greater ties between America and Russia, working as analysts in key public and private sector positions. The next selection will take place in New York on February 2007.
International Advisory Board
- Ambassador Frederick M. Bush, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, USA
- Alexander Shokhin, Chairman of Advisory Board, Renaissance Capital
- Andrei Illarionov, President, Institute of Economic Analysis
- Boris Nemtsov, the Advisor of President of Ukraina
- David Yakobashvilli, Chairman, WimmBillDone
- Evgeniy Yasin, Rector, Higher School of Economics
- Konstantin Kosachev, Chairman of the State Duma Committee for International Affairs
- Mikhail Fridman, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Alfa Group Consortium
- Olga Sidorovich, Director, Institute of Law and Public Policy
- Peter Aven, President, Alfa Bank
- Shiv Khemka, Chairman, Sun Group
- Vladimir Pozner, President, Russian Academy of Television